19 Jun 2015

Favourites Friday: Finals Procrastination Edition

I haven't done a Favourites Friday in a while, and that's because of FINALS! Yes, everyone's favourite thing. Also everyone's favourite time to procrastinate, myself included. So now that my exams are over and I'm free to live a stress-free life once again (mostly, I'm a language major, it never ends), I'm back with a (rather nerdy) list of things that I've been avoiding study with.


1. Florence + the Machine's album How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
I've been a massive fan of Florence since just after the release of Lungs (which was like six years ago what), and I'm constantly impressed by every single one of her songs. Ceremonials was my favourite album for years, and now this new one is frickin' incredible. It makes me want dance in a field (you know the feeling). I keep finding time to just sit down and listen to it from beginning to end.

2. American Horror Story Season 1: Murder House
I've always been one to shy away from anything that could be labelled as "horror", despite the fact that I'm a reasonably logical person that doesn't scare very easily. I've always thought that I just wouldn't be able to handle it. I'd been hearing people talk about how good American Horror Story is, and I was craving something a little different, so my aversion from horror no longer stands. AHS isn't really scary at all, it's just very intriguingly...creepy. You want to keep watching so you can figure out what the hell is going on. No wonder everyone keeps raving about it.

3. Ouran High School Host Club Anime (桜蘭高校ホスト部)
I've been wanting to get into anime again recently, but it's a hard thing to do when there are hundreds of them. I started watching Ouran a while back in English and thought it was quite good, but only made it through a few episodes before I got busy and forgot about it. This time I'm watching it in Japanese (because it would practically be a crime for me not to), and I'm still enjoying it! The characters and plots are all a lot of fun, but you need some knowledge of tropes and anime to fully understand it (there is basically no fourth wall half the time).

4. Dan and Phil Games
If you've looked at the bottom few things on this list, you've probably figured out that I like video games. I also really like Dan and Phil. Put them together and BAM it's the ultimate form of entertainment. I literally binge watched the entirety of their Sims 4 series in one day. That's like, at least five hours of viewing. That's how good it is. You don't even have to like video games that much to enjoy this channel! Dan and Phil try to make it as entertaining and genuine as possible, so it's fun regardless.

5. Portal 2
I've played Portal 2 before. You've probably (definitely) heard of it and how good it is. So naturally my finals brain thought "let's do it again!". Portal 2 is just a really enjoyable few hours. It was easier for me this time, obviously, because I'd already completed it, but living the story again was a nice experience. (And the end credits are epic).

6. Muse's album Drones
So many albums have come out recently that I've not really had time to listen to but have anyway. Drones was so highly anticipated that I couldn't not take time out to listen to it, several times, in fact. The more I listen, the better it seems to get. It's such a political album, and every song captures you're attention in different ways. I feel like I've got my hands on a really significant work of art.

7. Mario Kart 7
(Nice numbering on my part, there.) You're probably thinking "Lauren, Mario Kart? Really? Of all the things you could be doing?" Yes, my friend. Because I am low-key addicted. There's something about getting aggressive towards babies driving karts in a physics-defying fashion that I love. Half of it is probably that I'm not half bad at it. I'll probably be playing every Mario Kart game that's released from now until my death. It's cathartic.

There we go! That's all the things I've been spending time doing over the past month or so. Now I'm off to do basically the same thing until uni goes back.

I hope that any of you that had finals got through them okay. (I'm sure you did).

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment